Living with a Mental Illness: Tired of Stereotypes and Stigma
HealthyPlace Mental Health Newsletter
Here's what's happening on the HealthyPlace site this week:
- Living with a Mental Illness: Tired of Stereotypes and Stigma
- Help Spread Awareness of Mental Illness
- From the HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
- Most Popular HealthyPlace Articles Shared by Facebook Fans
It seems people living with a mental illness are fed up with stereotypes of what it's like to have bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, depression, anxiety and other mental illnesses. Across our social networks this week, we asked our community members what most bothered them about having a mental illness. Here are a few responses:
- Carolyn Clark (FB): Stereotypes and narrow mindedness toward mental illness and the effects it can have.
- Scott P. Smith (FB) The public's stereotype that I'm either homicidal or suicidal just because I'm bipolar.
- Grace M. Druzba (FB) That I am defective and therefore second class - someone not to breed with.
- @kailejocelyn: I hate being known as "that girl who cuts" or "that girl who tried to kill herself" or "that girl who starves herself."
- @leah_michal: Loss of credibility in a lot of situations.
- @bipolarvoice: Stigma from others; the fact that your opinion can be treated as inferior if someone thinks you're in an episode.
What about you? What bothers you most about having a mental illness? We invite you to participate by commenting and sharing your feelings, experiences and knowledge on the HealthyPlace Facebook page.
Related Depression Treatment Information
- Does Living With a Mental Illness Mean I’m Not Normal?
- Manic Depressive Symptoms and Living as a Manic Depressive
- Living with Schizophrenia (video)
- Personal Story of Living with Anxiety
- Life with an Eating Disorder
- 3 Ugly Truths About Dissociative Identity Disorder
Share our Stories
At the top and bottom of all our stories, you'll find social share buttons for Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest and other social sites. If you find a particular story, video, psychological test or other HealthyPlace feature helpful, there's a good chance others in need will too. Please share.
We also get many inquiries about our linking policy. If you have a website or blog, you can link to any page on the HealthyPlace website without asking us beforehand.
Here are the top 3 mental health articles HealthyPlace Facebook fans are recommending you read:
- Symptoms of Severe Anxiety Feel Very Scary
- PTSD and Fatigue: Is It Normal to Feel So Tired?
- Schizophrenia Brain: Impact of Schizophrenia on the Brain
If you're not already, I hope you'll join us/like us on Facebook too. There are a lot of wonderful, supportive people there.
Your comments and observations are welcomed.
- Memories of Trauma Effect on Anxiety (Anxiety-Schmanxiety Blog)
- Speaking Openly About Bipolar and Being Judged For It (Breaking Bipolar Blog)
- Black Male Identity, Mental Illness and Treatment (The Bipolar Griot Blog)
- Is There A Party In Your PTSD Head? (Trauma! A PTSD Blog)
- Why Giving Back Increases Your Self-Esteem (Building Self-Esteem Blog)
- The Other Side of Psychosis (Surviving Mental Health Stigma Blog)
- Making ‘Friends’ With Your Psychiatrist (Recovering From Mental Illness Blog)
- From Stigma to Stability: Changing Minds About Mental Illness (Mental Illness in the Family Blog)
- An Open Letter to Barack Obama (More Than Borderline Blog)
- Taxation Without Medication Or Incarceration Is Therapy (Funny in the Head: A Mental Health Humor Blog)
- Wellness Tips for Addiction Recovery (Debunking Addiction Blog)
- Help Your Teens "Unlearn" Abuse (Verbal Abuse and Relationships Blog)
- Managing Self Injury Urges With Impulse Control Logs (Speaking Out About Self-Injury Blog)
- Two Years of Surviving ED Blog (Surviving ED Blog)
- Unlearning Negative Thought Patterns (Coping with Depression Blog)
Feel free to share your thoughts and comments at the bottom of any blog post. And visit the mental health blogs homepage for the latest posts.
That's it for now. If you know of anyone who can benefit from this newsletter or the HealthyPlace.com site, I hope you'll pass this onto them. You can also share the newsletter on any social network (like facebook, stumbleupon, or digg) you belong to by clicking the links below. For updates throughout the week:
Staff, H. (2012, November 14). Living with a Mental Illness: Tired of Stereotypes and Stigma, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2022, August 19 from https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/mental-health-newsletter/living-with-a-mental-illness-tired-of-stereotypes-and-stigma