Prescription Drug Addiction Test
20 questions to help determine if you have a problem with prescription drug abuse or addiction.
If you are unsure whether you have a problem with prescription drugs, here are 20 questions that will help you decide whether to seek professional help for prescription medication abuse or addiction:
- Has your doctor, spouse or anyone else expressed concern about your use of medications?
- Have you ever decided to stop taking pills only to find yourself taking them again contrary to your previous decision?
- Have you ever felt remorse or concern about taking pills?
- Has your efficiency or ambition decreased since taking pills?
- Have you established a supply for your purse or pocket or to hide away in case of emergency?
- Have you ever been treated by a physician or hospital for excessive use of pills (whether or not in combination with other substances)?
- Have you changed doctors or drug stores for the purpose of maintaining your supply?
- Have you received the same pill from two or more physicians or druggists at approximately the same time?
- Have you ever been turned down for a refill?
- Have you taken the same mind- or mood-affecting medication for over a year only to find you still have the same symptoms?
- Have you ever informed your physician as to which pill works best at
which dosage and had him adjust the prescription to your recommendations?
- Have you used a tranquilizer or a sleep medication for a period of months or years with no improvement in the problem?
- Have you increased the dosage, strength or frequency of your medication over the past months or years?
- Is your medication quite important to you; e.g., do you worry about refills long before running out?
- Do you become annoyed or uncomfortable when others talk about your use of medications?
- Have you or anyone else noticed a change of personality when you take your medication, or when you stop taking it?
- Have you ever taken your medication before you had the associated symptom?
- Have you ever been embarrassed by your behavior when under the influence of your prescription drug?
- Do you ever sneak or hide your pills?
- Do you find it impossible to stop or to go for a prolonged period without your pills?
If you have answered YES to three or more or these questions, you may be at serious risk of having a problem with prescription medications. The good news is that treatment is available.
(Reprinted and slightly adapted from "There's More to Quitting Drinking than Quitting Drinking" by Dr. Paul O.)
Gluck, S. (2021, December 16). Prescription Drug Addiction Test, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2022, May 25 from https://www.healthyplace.com/addictions/prescription-drugs/prescription-drug-addiction-test