How to Survive A Convention with Binge Eating Disorder
A convention (con) is coming to town and you want to go with your friends, but how do you survive a convention with binge eating disorder? Con-going is a great time and a wonderful social activity. But there are also a lot of ways for your binge eating disorder to be triggered while you're there. Here are some quick and easy tips to not only survive the con without binging or overeating, but to have an awesome time with your loved ones as well as surviving a convention with binge eating disorder.
Prepare to Survive A Convention with Binge Eating Disorder
Surviving a convention when you have binge eating disorder can be tricky, so it's important to prepare yourself beforehand. Here are some things you will encounter at a con:
- You will be spending time around a ton of really awesome people. Introverts, save up some energy for this, because it can easily get overwhelming (Five Ways To Approach Triggering Emotions).
- The convention center rooms might not have windows or clocks, making it difficult to keep track of time and rather disorienting when you go outside.
- Food choices will probably be limited and the convention center might have rules about outside food (more on that later).
- You will be surrounded by all kinds of people, colors, cosplays, products, and fun.
Tips on Surviving the Convention without Triggering Your Binge Eating Disorder
So now you know what to expect at a con, how can you survive this convention without having your binge eating disorder symptoms triggered? The first thing you should do is take stock of your binge eating disorder triggers and reflect on what makes you binge or overeat. If there is something specific you will encounter in the con, be aware of it and prepare yourself for dealing with it (Don't Wait: Prepare For Mental Health Triggers Beforehand). Mental preparation can be incredibly helpful when you find yourself in a situation like this.
Here are some general tips on how to keep your binge eating disorder symptoms in check and survive the con.
- Keep an eye on the time. It's really easy to lose track of time and forget to eat. Make sure you set alarms or keep looking at your clock.
- Set a schedule. Decide when you're going to eat and stick to that schedule (Travel Tips For Eating Disorder Recovery). It will give you a break from the blur of motion that is the con and give you a chance to replenish your energy.
- Hydrate yourself. It's easy to not realize just how physical you're being until it's too late and you're already dehydrated. Keep a drink with you to help your body stay healthy.
- Take stock of your food options. On the first day, find out the rules for the convention center and see what food they offer. If the food there is triggering for you, make alternate plans either for eating at a restaurant nearby or bringing your own food.
- Monitor yourself. Pay attention to your body. You're going to be doing a lot of walking, interacting, photo taking, and nerding out. If you feel tired, take a break. If you feel hungry, get something to eat. Waiting too long to take care of your needs can lead to a binge and stop you from having fun.
- Watch your money. When surrounded by a million cool things to buy, it's easy to spend all of your cash and have nothing left to purchase a meal. Make sure you have some money allotted for food, if you didn't bring your own, so you don't get caught unable to keep your schedule because you don't have the cash.
- Have fun. Conventions are a great time and beyond simply surviving it, you should enjoy it. Get photos with cosplayers, purchase something with all of the writing in Japanese, go to a panel with a cool voice actor, make new friends, and have a blast.
How I Survived A Convention with Binge Eating Disorder
LaBranche, S. (2015, November 29). How to Survive A Convention with Binge Eating Disorder, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2022, September 29 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/bingeeatingrecovery/2015/11/video-how-to-survive-a-convention-with-binge-eating-disorder