Why Sharing Too Much Information Could Be Common with ADHD

June 18, 2020 Tonie Ansah

How do you know if sharing too much information is a problem attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) causes for you? Do you ever find yourself during a conversation anxiously waiting for the person to finish their sentence so you can get your thoughts out before you forget? Do you have word vomit, fixate over the things you wish you would've said, or do you go off on tangents when you speak? Even worse, have you been told or noticed that you share too much information? Then you're in good company.

I like to think of my tendency to share too much information as being transparent, but for some—oversharing can come across as abrasive or untrustworthy. So, I was pleased to learn that oversharing appears common in those with ADHD. But why? It's not like you're trying to be rude or be abrasive, it's just that you have so many thoughts that flood your brain all at once.

The Link Between Sharing Too Much Information and ADHD

I searched the Internet to find the link between oversharing and ADHD, but the connection right now seems unclear. Some ideas have been proposed by others who also have a habit of sharing too much information, but the subject isn't well-studied.

In today's video blog1, I explore some possibilities about why oversharing is common for those with ADHD and how I've personally had to scale back my need to be "authentic" and gage social situations a little better.

Source

1. The Understood Team, "ADHD and Oversharing: What You Need to Know." Understood.org, Accessed June 17, 2020.

Ansah, T. (2020, June 18). Why Sharing Too Much Information Could Be Common with ADHD, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2021, December 6 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/livingwithadultadhd/2020/6/why-sharing-too-much-information-could-be-common-with-adhd

Author: Tonie Ansah

Find Tonie on LinkedIn and Twitter.

HC
November, 12 2021 at 9:11 pm

I have never heard of RSD. It really sounds like something that I have. It breaks my heart when people don't like me. I am a people pleaser and struggle when others don't like me.

HC
November, 12 2021 at 9:08 pm

I have never heard of RSD but that is definitely me. It hurts big time to be rejected. I think all the time and I struggle with over sharing to where it causes me great anxiety. Then I blame myself for creating drama or annoying people or letting the wrong people in when I share the negative parts of myself.

Haley
November, 6 2021 at 1:04 am

Wow. I’ve never been diagnosed but I’m pretty much sure I have ADD or ADHD. I’ve never heard of RSD but hearing it explained sounded like someone taking the words right out of my head. I kind of have that, well this is what it is, take it or leave it but I warned you.
It’s pretty interesting because I’m a behavioral technician and my client is ASD and ADHD so it’s fascinating to work with children who share the same issues as myself but to a greater degree.
I think in my case it keep people somewhat wary until they get a chance to really know me. But some people find it cute and endearing, just depends who you’re with.
On top of the previously mentioned, I get anxious and feel the need to explain things.

Courtney
February, 21 2021 at 12:59 pm

So interesting! Recently diagnosed here at 38. The way it has manifested for me, is that I tend to have a lot of close friends who know some of my darker and more intimate secrets - which is great b/c I have a support network and can turn to them. However, even though I’m there for them 100%- the intimacy level is asymmetric- I don’t know about their inner lives as much b/c they don’t share and I don’t ask the right questions I guess. RSD is a huge reason I share. Give them the juicy info so they hopefully want to be my friend

JK
February, 4 2021 at 10:08 am

Can totally relate, and I think it in my case it shys people away. As talkative as I am I still tend to stay away from social conversations in fear of saying something I shouldn't.

Seve
January, 30 2021 at 6:40 am

Wow. I’ll try not to over share but I’m 43 and just figuring this shit out now. It has made me successful in my field but explains why some people seem annoyed

Maxi
November, 30 2020 at 11:14 pm

Hi Tonie,
Thanks for posting this video! I have ADHD and definitely am an over-sharer...it’s actually funny how I stumbled upon this blog! I googled “why do I over share” not thinking it had anything to do with my ADHD. Thank you for teaching us a bit more about ourselves!
Also, RSD is a new term—will definitely have to look more into it since I resonate with your description.
I’m so happy I stumbled upon your blog! I haven’t found another blog focused on adults with ADHD that gave such straightforward in clear information. Looking forward to your future posts!!

kleincity
November, 15 2021 at 9:08 am

Maxi, I found this because I wanted to know why I was so productive when I listen to a song on repeat 😆 and also thought it had "nothing to do with my ADHD". Diagnosed late I'm learning all.the.things. have to do with my ADHD tendencies and makeshift coping strategies.
Thank you so much for writing this post/video combo. This is the most helpful website I've been on so far!

KW
August, 4 2020 at 7:55 pm

I tend to over share also. Sometimes I think it is just to fill the silence; sometimes I don’t know why.