Emotional Abuse Test: Am I Emotionally Abused?
Emotional abuse is common among children and many adults, so many ask: "Am I emotionally abused?" Take this emotional abuse test to find out if you're in an emotionally abusive situation.
Emotional Abuse Quiz Instructions
Carefully consider each question while thinking about yourself and your partner. Answer "yes" or "no" to each question on this emotional abuse quiz.
Emotional Abuse Test
- feel afraid of your partner much of the time?
- avoid certain topics out of fear of angering your partner?
- feel that you can't do anything right for your partner?
- believe that you deserve to be hurt or mistreated?
- wonder if you're the one who is crazy?
- feel emotionally numb or helpless?
Does your partner...
- humiliate or yell at you?
- criticize you and put you down?
- treat you so badly that you're embarrassed for your friends or family to see?
- ignore or put down your opinions or accomplishments?
- blame you for their own abusive behavior?
- see you as property or a sex object, rather than as a person?
- have a bad and unpredictable temper?
- hurt you, or threaten to hurt or kill you?
- threaten to take your children away or harm them?
- threaten to commit suicide if you leave?
- force you to have sex?
- destroy your belongings?
- act excessively jealous and possessive?
- control where you go or what you do?
- keep you from seeing your friends or family?
- limit your access to money, the phone, or the car?
- constantly check up on you?
Emotional Abuse Test Scoring
The more questions you answered "yes" to in this emotional abuse quiz, the more likely it is that you are in an abusive relationship.
If you feel you are in an abusive relationship, reach out. No one deserves to be emotionally abused by another person, no matter what the circumstance. Remember that you are not alone and there are people available to help you.
To get help for emotional abuse:
- Call a helpline listed on HealthyPlace
- Go to Womanslaw.org to find state and national help
- Contact your local police or call 911 if you feel you are in immediate danger
- Contact a child and family welfare agency
- Talk to your doctor or other health professionals
Emotional abuse test adapted from Domestic Abuse and Violence by HealthGuide.org.
Tracy, N. (2021, December 17). Emotional Abuse Test: Am I Emotionally Abused?, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2023, June 3 from https://www.healthyplace.com/abuse/emotional-psychological-abuse/emotional-abuse-test-am-i-emotionally-abused