Domestic Violence Awareness Month
HealthyPlace Mental Health Newsletter
Here's what's happening on the HealthyPlace site this week:
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month
- Help Spread Awareness of Mental Illness
- Most Popular HealthyPlace Articles Shared by Facebook Fans
- Mental Health Experiences
- From the HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
- Impact of Child Sexual Abuse Later in Life on HealthyPlace TV
Domestic violence, like mental illness, is one of "those" subjects that most people don't talk about. That's why there's a huge need for "Domestic Violence Awareness Month." One big misconception about domestic violence is that if you aren't being physically beaten, then you're not a victim of domestic violence. That's simply not true. There are many types of domestic violence, including physical, sexual, emotional and psychological abuse. And just so I'm clear, women aren't the only victims. There's domestic violence against men, too. Unfortunately, there's not much public help for men who are facing relationship abuse.
However, no matter what gender you are, the important thing is to recognize domestic violence for what it is and take action. This article is your first step: How To Report Domestic Violence and Domestic Abuse. It also includes domestic violence hotline phone numbers.
On the HealthyPlace Facebook page, our "Question of the Day" is: How has domestic violence affected your mental health? We invite you to participate by commenting and sharing your feelings, experiences and knowledge.
Related Domestic Violence Information
- What is Domestic Violence, Domestic Abuse?
- Signs of Domestic Violence, Domestic Abuse
- Domestic Abuse Help: Domestic Violence Support, Shelters, Groups
- Victims of Domestic Violence, Domestic Abuse and Why They Stay?
- All Domestic Violence Articles (20+ articles on domestic violence and battering for adults and teen dating violence)
Get Our Mental Health Blog Widget
Since last week, nearly 40 sites and blogs are helping spread awareness of mental illness. How about putting our mental health blogs widget on your website, blog or social page? The latest HealthyPlace blog headlines appear as soon as the articles are posted on our site. Just click "Get Widget" at the bottom of the widget, grab the embed code and paste it into your page. You'll also see embed links for Wordpress, Blogger, Linkedin and other social sites there.
As a bonus, put the blogs widget on your site or blog, email us (info AT healthyplace.com) with a page link where it appears, and we'll give a shoutout to your site, blog, or social site on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
continue story below
Share our Stories
At the top and bottom of all our stories, you'll find social share buttons for Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest and other social sites. If you find a particular story, video, psychological test or other HealthyPlace feature helpful, there's a good chance others in need will too. Please share.
We also get many inquiries about our linking policy. If you have a website or blog, you can link to any page on the HealthyPlace website without asking us beforehand.
Here are the top 3 mental health articles HealthyPlace Facebook fans are recommending you read:
- PTSD and the Freeze Response
- Positive Qualities of ADD
- Dealing with Anxiety Attacks: Getting Anxiety Attack Relief
If you're not already, I hope you'll join us/like us on Facebook too. There are a lot of wonderful, supportive people there.
Share your thoughts/experiences with any mental health subject, or respond to other people's audio posts, by calling our toll-free number (1-888-883-8045).
You can listen to what other people are saying by clicking on the gray title bars inside the widgets located on the "Sharing Your Mental Health Experiences" homepage, the HealthyPlace homepage, and the HealthyPlace Support Network homepage.
If you have any questions, write us at: info AT healthyplace.com
Your comments and observations are welcomed.
- Stigma of Mental Illness Isn't Getting Better (Anxiety-Schmanxiety Blog)
- Handling Anosognosia – Neurological Inability to Recognize Your Mental Illness (Breaking Bipolar Blog)
- The Value of Choice in Disclosing or Not Disclosing Your Mental Illness (The Bipolar Griot Blog)
- PTSD and Fear: How Are You Managing It? (Trauma! A PTSD Blog)
- Depression and Building Self-Esteem: The Power of Awareness (Building Self-Esteem Blog)
- Re-Framing Mental Illness as a Bio-Psycho-Social Condition (Surviving Mental Health Stigma Blog)
- Emotional Trauma and Mental Illness (Recovering From Mental Illness Blog)
- Harvesting Hope: Mental Illness Awareness Week (Mental Illness in the Family Blog)
- Facing My Addiction: How Will BPD Impact My Treatment? (pt. 1) (More Than Borderline Blog)
- Mental Illness Awareness Week – How You Can Help The Cause (Funny in the Head: A Mental Health Humor Blog)
- The Role of the Family in the Addiction Process (Debunking Addiction Blog)
- Using Your Emotion To Find Your Best Solutions Empowers You (Verbal Abuse and Relationships Blog)
- What To Do If a Loved One Self Injures (Speaking Out About Self-Injury Blog)
- The Gift of Eating Disorder Recovery (Surviving ED Blog)
- Teaching Kids to Cope with Depression (Coping with Depression Blog)
- Preventing Violence with Schizophrenia (Creative Schizophrenia Blog)
- Back to School is Up to You (Living with Adult ADHD Blog)
Feel free to share your thoughts and comments at the bottom of any blog post. And visit the mental health blogs homepage for the latest posts.
Do you ever stop to wonder what happens to physically and sexually abused children as they turn into adults themselves and try to lead a normal life? What is a normal life after you realize that your youth has been taken away? Dr. Ana Lopez talks about the difficult issues facing adult survivors of abuse on HealthyPlace TV. Watch our interview."
That's it for now. If you know of anyone who can benefit from this newsletter or the HealthyPlace.com site, I hope you'll pass this onto them. You can also share the newsletter on any social network (like facebook, stumbleupon, or digg) you belong to by clicking the links below. For updates throughout the week:
- circle HealthyPlace on Google+,
- follow HealthyPlace on Twitter
- follow HealthyPlace on Pinterest
- or become a fan of HealthyPlace on Facebook.
Staff, H. (2012, October 15). Domestic Violence Awareness Month, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2022, August 8 from https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/mental-health-newsletter/domestic-violence-awareness-month