HealthyPlace Mental Health Newsletter
Here's what's happening on the HealthyPlace site this week:
- Attempted Suicide
- Mental Health Experiences
- Your Thoughts: From the HealthyPlace Forums and Chat
- "Attempted Suicide: Back From the Brink" on HealthyPlace TV
- I'm Living Proof of Full Recovery From an Eating Disorder on the HealthyPlace Radio
- New From HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
On this week's HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Show (see below), our guest Paula discusses her two previous suicide attempts stemming from severe depression that started when she was a child. Today, she is very thankful that her suicide attempts were unsuccessful.
Unfortunately, mental illness and suicide go hand-in-hand. People with depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and alcoholism face a disproportionately high rate of suicidal thoughts and behaviors.
A 2007 Journal of the American Medical Association article cites a study showing many people who attempt suicide want to get away from a bad life situation and want relief from:
- Bad thoughts or feelings
- Feeling ashamed, guilty, or feeling of being a burden to others
- Feeling like a victim
- Feelings of rejection, loss, or loneliness
And 10% of those who attempt suicide, eventually succeed.
On the HealthyPlace website, we have plenty of excellent information about suicide.
- Understanding and Helping the Suicidal Person
- Is My Child Contemplating Suicide?
- Why Do People Kill Themselves?
- Suicide FAQs
- Feeling Suicidal? How To Help Yourself
- Dealing with Anger and Guilt After a Suicide
- More articles and information on suicide
Finally, one thing I do want to mention here, there's an old myth that if you talk to someone about suicide, that you may be planting those thoughts in their mind. Because of this, many people are afraid to speak to a possibly suicidal loved one or friend about their concerns. HealthyPlace.com Medical Director, Dr. Harry Croft, addresses that in this video - "Talking About Suicide with the Suicidal Person".
Share your thoughts/experiences on attempted suicide, suicidal thoughts and surviving the suicide of a loved one or any mental health subject, or respond to other people's audio posts, by calling our toll-free number (1-888-883-8045).
continue story below
You can listen to what other people are saying by clicking on the gray title bars inside the widgets located on the "Sharing Your Mental Health Experiences" homepage, the HealthyPlace homepage, and the HealthyPlace Support Network homepage.
If you have any questions, write us at: info AT healthyplace.com
On our adult ADHD forum, mika says "It seems like I can't finish anything I start. Always start with a lot of energy, but after a while I get bored and just leave it. I have tried to do exercise, but same story. Any advice?" Share quitting therapy?" Sign into the forums to share your comments.
Join us on the HealthyPlace Mental Health Forums and Chat
You must be a registered HealthyPlace member. If you aren't already, it's free and takes less than 30 seconds. Just click the "register button" at the top of the page.
At the bottom of the forums page, you'll notice a chat bar (similar to facebook). You can chat with any registered member on the forums site.
We hope you'll be a frequent participant and share our support link with others who may benefit.
Paula felt so bad, she tried to kill herself not once, but twice; first at age 10 with pills, then a few years ago with a gunshot to the chest. Why she did it and how things dramatically changed for Paula on this week's HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Show. (TV Show blog)
Still to Come in March on the HealthyPlace Mental Health TV Show
- Depression and Bipolar Treatments
If you would like to be a guest on the show or share your personal story in writing or via video, please write us at: producer AT healthyplace.com
For all previous HealthyPlace Mental Health TV archived shows.
At 28, Andrea Roe says she's finally healthy again. For 10 years, Andrea struggled with depression and body image issues and spent 6 years battling anorexia and bulimia. "There is so much negativity out there and it is important to let people know that there is HOPE and that eating disorders can be overcome." That's on this week's HealthyPlace Mental Health Radio Show.
Your comments and observations are welcomed.
- Walk Away From Verbal Abuse (Verbal Abuse and Relationships Blog)
- Why Don't We Want to Shower When We're Sick? (Breaking Bipolar Blog)
- I Hate Anxiety! The Physiology of Stress (Treating Anxiety Blog)
- Spring Brings Familiar Summer Dilemma (Life with Bob: A Parenting Blog)
- Dissociation and Depression: An Unholy Matrimony (Dissociative Living Blog)
- Stress and the Art of Maintaining Sanity (More Than Borderline Blog)
- The Competitive World of Parenting (The Unlocked Life Blog)
- NEDA Week 2011: What Have We Learned? (Surviving ED Blog)
- Warning Signs of Impending Abuse
- Dissociative Identity Disorder Video: My Dissociative Memory
- Children with Mental Illness: Is All Bad Behavior Attributable to Mental Illness?
Feel free to share your thoughts and comments at the bottom of any blog post. And visit the mental health blogs homepage for the latest posts.
If you know of anyone who can benefit from this newsletter or the HealthyPlace.com site, I hope you'll pass this onto them. You can also share the newsletter on any social network (like facebook, stumbleupon, or digg) you belong to by clicking the links below. For updates throughout the week,
Staff, H. (2011, March 11). Attempted Suicide, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2023, October 1 from https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/mental-health-newsletter/attempted-suicide