Standing Up for Mental Health on Facebook
HealthyPlace Mental Health Newsletter
Here's what's happening on the HealthyPlace site this week:
- Standing Up for Mental Health on Facebook
- Stand Up for Mental Health Campaign Update
- Help Spread Awareness of Mental Illness
- Most Popular HealthyPlace Articles Shared by Facebook Fans
- From the HealthyPlace Mental Health Blogs
- Your Mental Health Quotes Are Beautiful
- Help for the Disrespected Step Parent
- Latest Mental Health News
Sara Johnson wrote us to say that as a result of the "Stand Up for Mental Health" campaign, she Stood Up on Facebook and disclosed that she has bipolar disorder to her family members and friends. Her story is amazing on so many different levels. First, it takes a huge amount of courage to do that. She says it was like a breath of fresh air. Secondly, she's a social worker, who for years told her clients to stand up to stigma yet hid her own mental illness. That's how strong mental health stigma is. That's why it must be broken.
If you are waiting for everyone to be educated about mental illness and then hoping they will accept you with open arms, it's likely to be a very long wait. End mental illness stigma today. Don't let it pollute your mind. Don't tolerate it in your life. Stand Up to stigma. Stand Up for Yourself. Stand Up for Mental Health.
It has been two weeks since we launched the campaign. And it's really resonating with people. So far, nearly 1,000 people have joined the campaign. We, and 46 Million Americans with mental illness, need you to stand up. Together, we can do this. If you have a website or blog, please put a campaign button on it. (Buttons are available for parents of children with mental illness and mental health professionals and organizations too.) We also have covers and images for Facebook, Twitter and Google+. No matter what mental health condition you have, let others know about the "Stand Up for Mental Health" campaign, that stigma is wrong and will no longer be tolerated in your life.
You can share your thoughts about Sara Johnson's story. We invite you to participate by commenting and sharing your feelings, experiences and knowledge on the HealthyPlace Facebook page.
- Please Join the Stand Up for Mental Health Campaign: A Letter From the President of HealthyPlace.com
- Stand Up for Mental Health Campaign Homepage
- Standing Up to Mental Health Stigma Stories
- Mental Health Stigma Videos
- What is Stigma?
- Stigma and Discrimination: The Effect of Stigma
- Stand Up For Mental Health And Stand Up For Yourself
- Demystifying Mental Health: Stigma Is Itself A Fear
Get Our Mental Health Blog Widget
Nearly 190 sites and blogs are helping spread awareness of mental illness. How about putting our mental health blogs widget on your website, blog or social page? The latest HealthyPlace blog headlines appear as soon as the articles are posted on our site. Just click "Get Widget" at the bottom of the widget, grab the embed code and paste it into your page. You'll also see embed links for Wordpress, Blogger, Linkedin and other social sites there.
As a bonus, put the blogs widget on your site or blog, email us (info AT healthyplace.com) with a page link where it appears, and we'll give a shoutout to your site, blog, or social site on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
continue story below
Share our Stories
At the top and bottom of all our stories, you'll find social share buttons for Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest and other social sites. If you find a particular story, video, psychological test or other HealthyPlace feature helpful, there's a good chance others in need will too. Please share.
We also get many inquiries about our linking policy. If you have a website or blog, you can link to any page on the HealthyPlace website without asking us beforehand.
Here are the top 3 mental health articles HealthyPlace Facebook fans are recommending you read:
- Dear Fear: A “Dear John” Letter To Your Anxiety
- What is Sexual Addiction, Sexual Compulsion?
- Mental Health Hotline Numbers and Referral Resources
If you're not already, I hope you'll join us/like us on Facebook too. There are a lot of wonderful, supportive people there.
Mental Health Experiences
Share your thoughts/experiences with any mental health subject, or respond to other people's audio posts, by calling our toll-free number (1-888-883-8045).
You can listen to what other people are saying by clicking on the gray title bars inside the widgets located on the "Sharing Your Mental Health Experiences" homepage, the HealthyPlace homepage, and the HealthyPlace Support Network homepage.
If you have any questions, write us at: info AT healthyplace.com
On all our blogs, your comments and observations are welcomed.
- Hormones and Women’s Mental Health (Your Mental Health Blog)
- Goodbye OCD! (video) (Anxiety-Schmanxiety Blog)
- The Relationship Between Bipolar and Anger / Aggression (Breaking Bipolar Blog)
- Are You Sensitizing Your Amygdala? (Trauma! A PTSD Blog)
- Get a Grip on Negative Thoughts with Distraction Skills (Building Self-Esteem Blog)
- What Does Standing Up for Mental Health Really Mean? (Surviving Mental Health Stigma Blog)
- Learning to Accept Help When Living With a Mental Illness (Recovering From Mental Illness Blog)
- Mental Health Treatment: Letter to the Governor (Mental Illness in the Family Blog)
- Time-Out Isn’t Just for Kids (Life with Bob Blog)
- “Forgive Me Please?” – Mending Hurt Relationships (The Life: LGBT Mental Health and Relationships Blog)
- BPD and Spirituality: Hazardous But Healing River (pt. 1) (More Than Borderline Blog)
- From Inside An Eating Disorder (Surviving ED Blog)
- Shrink Rapping, The Super Secret Language Of Psychiatrists (Funny in the Head: A Mental Health Humor Blog)
- Prescription Drug Abuse – A Dangerous Trend (Debunking Addiction Blog)
- How To Make Good Friends After Leaving Abuse (Verbal Abuse and Relationships Blog)
- Inside a Tipping Point (Living with Adult ADHD Blog)
- Reducing Anxiety and Self-Injury Urges With Natural Supplements (Speaking Out About Self-Injury Blog)
- Schizophrenia Poetry Series (Creative Schizophrenia Blog)
- More Myths About Mental Illness (Coping with Depression Blog)
Feel free to share your thoughts and comments at the bottom of any blog post. And visit the mental health blogs homepage for the latest posts.
That's what Ashley wrote when she saw the new mental health quotes and sayings set against beautiful, shareable images on our website. We have general quotes about mental health, mental illness, as well an anxiety quotes, depression quotes, bipolar quotes and more. Each day, we add one new mental health quote or saying to a category, so come back often.
Our parent coach, Dr. Steven Richfield gets this email: "We're a blended family that's not blending too well right now. What advice do you have for a disrespected step-parent who is losing it way too much?
These stories and more are featured on our mental health news page:
- The Philosophy of Data
- Personality in the Bedroom
- When Work is Play
- Sugar Rusk
- Ditching Your Comfort Zone
- Suicide Following Acute Alcohol Intoxication A Greater Risk For American Indians
- Mentally Ill People Smoke A Lot More Than People Without Mental Illness
- Drug Overdose From Prescription Opioids Reaches Epidemic Levels In NYC
- 10% Of Mentally Ill Teenagers Use Cannabis, Drink And Smoke
- Anxiety May Contribute to Cognitive Dysfunction in Bipolar Disorder
- Parental Psychosis Affects Early Schizophrenia Risk Factors
- Emotion Regulation Therapy (DBT) Benefits Bipolar Patients
That's it for now. If you know of anyone who can benefit from this newsletter or the HealthyPlace.com site, I hope you'll pass this onto them. You can also share the newsletter on any social network (like facebook, stumbleupon, or digg) you belong to by clicking the links below. For updates throughout the week:
- circle HealthyPlace on Google+,
- follow HealthyPlace on Twitter
- follow HealthyPlace on Pinterest
- or become a fan of HealthyPlace on Facebook.
Staff, H. (2013, February 7). Standing Up for Mental Health on Facebook, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2020, October 25 from https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/mental-health-newsletter/standing-up-for-mental-health-on-facebook