Anxiety and Overthinking Everything

December 31, 2015 Tanya J. Peterson, MS, NCC

Anxiety and overthinking tend to be evil partners. One of the horrible hallmarks of any type of anxiety disorder is the tendency to overthink everything. The anxious brain is hypervigilant, always on the lookout for anything it perceives to be dangerous or worrisome. I've been accused of making problems where there aren't any. To me, though, there are, indeed, problems. Why? Because anxiety causes me to overthink everything. Anxiety makes us overthink everything in many different ways, and the result of this overthinking isn't helpful at all. Fortunately, anxiety and overthinking everything doesn't have to be a permanent part of our existence.

Ways Anxiety Causes Overthinking

An effect of any type of anxiety is overthinking everything. There are common themes to the way anxiety causes overthinking. Perhaps this generic list will remind you of specific racing thoughts you experience and help you realize that you're not alone in overthinking everything because of anxiety.

• Obsessing over what we should say/should have said/did say/didn't say (common in social anxiety)
  • Worrying incessantly about who we are and how we are measuring up to the world (common in social and performance anxiety)
  • Creating fearful what-if scenarios about things that could go wrong for ourselves, loved ones, and the world (common in generalized anxiety disorder)
  • Wild, imagined results of our own wild, imagined faults and incompetencies (all anxiety disorders)
  • Fear of having a panic attack in public and possibly thinking that you can't leave home because of it (panic disorder with or without agoraphobia)
  • Worrying about a multitude of obsessive thoughts, sometimes scary ones and thinking about them constantly (obsessive-compulsive disorder)
  • Thinking -- overthinking -- a tumbling chain of worries, vague thoughts, and specific thoughts (all anxiety disorders)

Result of Anxiety and Overthinking

With anxiety, not only are these thoughts (and more) running through our brains, but they are always running through our brains, non-stop, endlessly. Like a gerbil hooked up to an endless drip of an energy drink, they run and run and wheel around in one place, going absolutely nowhere. Day and night, the wheel squeaks.

Over-thinking everything is a horrid part of anxiety disorders. Over-thinking everything creates more anxiety. This tip helps stop over-thinking. Check it out.Anxiety and overthinking everything makes us both tired and wired. One result of the thinking too much that comes with anxiety is that we are often left feeling physically and emotionally unwell. Having these same anxious messages run through our head everywhere we go takes its toll.

Further, another dangerous result of anxiety and overthinking everything is that we start to believe what we think. After all, if we think it, it's real, and if we think it constantly, it's very real. Right? No. This is a trick anxiety plays. Anxiety causes overthinking, but with anxiety, these thoughts aren't always trustworthy.

You have the power and the ability to interfere in anxiety's overthinking everything. It's a process that involves many steps, but a step you can take right now to slow down that gerbil is to have something with you or around you to divert your attention. Rather than arguing with your thoughts or obsessing over them, gently shift your attention onto something else, something neutral. By thinking about something insignificant, you weaken anxiety's ability to cause you to overthink everything.

I explain this further in the below video. I invite you to tune in.

Let's connect. I blog here. Find me on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Pinterest. My mental health novels, including one about severe anxiety, are here.

NCC, T. (2015, December 31). Anxiety and Overthinking Everything, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2019, October 19 from https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/anxiety-schmanxiety/2015/12/anxiety-and-over-thinking-everything

Author: Tanya J. Peterson, MS, NCC

Tanya J. Peterson is the author of The Mindfulness Journal for Anxiety, The Mindfulness Workbook for Anxiety, Break Free: Acceptance and Commitment Therapy in 3 steps, and five critically-acclaimed, award-winning novels about mental health challenges. She speaks nationally about mental health, and she has a curriculum for middle and high schools. Find her on her website, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Rose
August, 17 2017 at 8:14 am
Hi, yes I have been to my gp yoday and he has give me some different meds and reduced my citalopram. Hoping this will help as o don't understand why I'm feeling like this! I feel very angry and frustrated tonight at my obsession/trigger. I feel like smashing it off the wall but then just wondering if I focus on something else!! I feel like these meds have given me ocd! It so awful

Be patient and gentle with yourself! Med changes can take a while to kick in. Do keep communicating with your doctor. You might need a series of changes and adjustments. It's really frustrating yet worth it to keep at it!
Rose
August, 20 2017 at 4:52 am
It it ok so me for the meds to make me feel this way? And of so when I stop them will these thoughts go? Or am I stick with them!? I need my life back to where I 2as before the meds! Im.on a new meds now and they are not and ssri. Im.hopinh when I come off ssri totally these thoughts will disapear.

<strong>Hello Rose,</strong>
Because I don't want to give you bad information, I'm not in a position to get specific with medicaitons. They're tricky, and each person reacts differently to each type. I do think that you are on the right track with your questions and can absolutely keep asking your doctor (or a different one if you feel you aren't getting answers). Doctors should be able to help monitor your reactions to medications, including thoughts, and make adjustments safely. Of course you want these thoughts to disappear! And they can -- stay on top of your doctor and the medicaitons.
Rose
September, 25 2017 at 7:35 am
Hi, I'm back again! I have been off my citalopram for 3weeks and started mirtazipine. My thoughts have been so much better since coming off citaloptam, however they are still there. I don't know of they are still concessions or just memories but the last 3 days in bed getting myself all anxious again (over the same thing) I feel so disheartened as I thought I was getting better. I don't even know if in been increasing today but my anxity tells me I am until I work myself so much I could scream.. are the citalopram still in my system and playing havoc with my brain still??

<strong>Hello again, Rose!</strong>
Three weeks seems like a very long time, but when it comes to the world of medication, it's not long at all. I'm not qualified to make bold statements about medications, but I do know that it can take weeks to months for a medication to fully leave the system and also for a new one to really take effect. There's a chance that you have both medications in your system, and that is possibly causing problems. It's definitely something you want to check with your doctor because he/she is the one who will know. Your doctor could also make changes based on your experiences. Medication switches always take time and multiple trips to the doctor for adjustments, so be patient with and kind to yourself.
Rose
September, 25 2017 at 7:41 am
That should say I don't know if I have been obsessing again or just my anxiety telling me I am. I don't feel like I'm thinking about my recent obsession/focus nut my mind starts going until I think that's what is causing my anxiety. I thimk.anoit throwing it away nut in the last I focus/obcess on something else. The tablets are to blame but scared I'm now stuck like this forever
Lou
August, 3 2017 at 7:14 am
Hello , hoping to share thoughts and see that there are others feeling the same . I can't really pinpoint when my worrying / anxiety began , but I do recognise that it's got worse .
For me I think a combination of things has added up tonne feeling this day in day out . I've realised it's exhausting , my mind never stops , the only break I get is when I'm asjsro . The moment I wake I feel tense , knotted stomach &amp; a desire to just not face things that day ahead . Being a working mum I have to but a lot of mornings are a struggle to try to remain composed and not sit fretting about what's to come that day . Being divorced for 5 years and on my own with my daughter means there isn't someone to discuss worries or little things with at the end of a day . Nobody to put things into perspective and tell me " it's not worth worrying and it'll be fine " . Despite telling yourself this it doesn't really have the sand effect !
For me the daily jobs / events / tasks that seem small become harder when there is only myself to do all the decision making , choosing , sorting . I worry I won't get it all done , I worry that I do things wrong , I worry ill run out of time each day , work pressure adds on , I worry Ill forget places / classes I have to get my daughter to ( I never do ) , being in all places at once on time , I get anxious driving in case something happens , lost , car breaks down etc ... on &amp; on it goes .. my only haven is running , the only thing that relaxes me &amp; where I don't worry . I find it impossible to relax and am even worrying about a holiday abroad because it's myself and my daughter alone . It makes me so anxious I get to the point where I don't want to go ... it's difficult to rationalise it to yourself .. I'm hoping to try to find a Pilates or yoga class which may help ? Has anyone else had similar experiences ?

Kate
August, 13 2017 at 8:52 pm
Hi Lou, I'' in exactly the same situation. Your post could have been written by me.. it's not easy but try not to juggle to many different things each day.. the linden method helps.. or feel free to contact me. Big hugs x
Patty
July, 30 2017 at 10:19 pm
Hello well under high levels of stress I too suffer with anxiety and depression. I have recently been having paranoia due to over thinking, negative thoughts and feeling like I am going crazy because already for the last three months I have had several moments where I think I am hearing whispers, or a faint womens voice I can't make out what it's saying or it's purpose but it is making me freak out and get into straight panic mode. I have researched and found that others have experienced this to and I am not alone. Although I have not quite found a solution to help me with issue in my finding I ran into this blog. If someone can help me and let me know how to ignore this or stop this it would great. I do not like this part of Anxiety although I have suffered from anxiety for the last 7 years this is new symptoms and I do not know how to deal with it. I am not on any meds nor am I seeing a doctor. Just a women in search for her healing.

joshua orellana
August, 3 2017 at 8:26 am
play worship music, God in control. he healed me from this
jamie
July, 29 2017 at 2:42 am
I just seem to spend all my waking day thinking about my anxiety. Checking myself on how I am feeling, wondering when the next panic attack will happen, and then at night I'm thinking about my insomnia, if I'm going to sleep at all, and if not, how it will affect my anxiety the next day. I seem to be stuck in this circle of thinking about nothing but my anxiety.

July, 31 2017 at 4:41 am
Hi Jamie,
That is an incredibly frustrating cycle (to put it mildly) -- I've been in it before. Two approaches that can be useful for this awful cycle are solution-focused therapy and acceptance and commitment therapy (both steer people away from checking how we're feeling/thinking, which is an important step). If you are interested in learning a bit about them, these two links will give you a start: https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/anxiety-schmanxiety/2015/07/stop-avoiding-anxiety-acceptance-and-commitment-therapy/ and https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/anxiety-schmanxiety/2014/06/five-solution-focused-ways-to-beat-anxiety/
jamie
July, 29 2017 at 2:35 am
Overthinking 24/7
Kaylee
July, 28 2017 at 1:00 am
Hi, my name is kaylee and I'm actually looking up self help videos for anxiety. I've never been one to think of myself as having a mental illness but Its become a problem lately. I'm constantly worrying and overthinking about anything and everything. So much so that I burst out in tears for something that hasn't even happend yet and probably never will. I randomly shut down and refuse to deal with any real problems because I can't get out of my head, I can't even explain it properly because I have no real reason to feel this way, which is the most frustrating. My head feels like it's going to explode and I'm exhausted. I don't know how to cope with it in a healthy matter. It's gotten to the point that i can't sleep at night because of my constant thoughts so I've turned to taking Advil pm or any other aide to sleep. I know that's not healthy but it's the only way that I can sleep without interruption. It's never been this bad but lately it seems all I can do is stress and over think everything and I feel like I'm not enjoying life because of it. It's even gotten to be a problem In my relationship, my boyfriend is patient and kind but i know he must be feeling frustrated by now because one minute I'm fine and the next I'm upset about something thats abstract or vague because theirs no real logic behind whatever it is I'm worrying about and I just feel insane and i'm worried that it'll become a bigger problem than it already is.

July, 28 2017 at 5:38 am
Hi Kaylee,
What you're experiencing does sound incredibly frustrating. Don't worry about the term "mental illness." All that means is that there are specific things researchers have found that relate to the brain. It helps doctors (and everyone else) categorize symptoms so they can best treat them. It's similar to terms like oncology (the global term for cancer -- cancers are categorized so they can be efficiently addressed). Anyway, an important starting point is to see a doctor to rule out other things that could be causing your symptoms. He/she can also consult with you about sleeping as well as make a plan for the next steps. This way, it won't, as you say, become a bigger problem than it already is.
V
July, 27 2017 at 6:23 pm
Hi! I get nervous like most people, but for the past year or so, I've noticed myself overthinking. I would overthink things most of my life, but just recently it's gotten to a point where I get unreasonably anxious when I overthink. It seems to take a toll on my physical health at times too, with nausea and just constant dizziness everytime I get in this anxious state. It wasn't until I read this article that I realized that I most likely have some form of anxiety. My mom won't exactly understand when I say that I want to talk to someone. I've always been a very expressive person, and I just can't see myself getting better without talking to someone! I know that talking to a professional is most likely not the only valid option I have, but I seriously need help understanding what I'm going through. When I'm in these bouts of panic, it's very hard for me to bring myself back to reality. I find myself making these situations I'm in so much bigger than they most likely are, and I normally end up whole heartedly believing that I am about to die. I assume this is normal? That's basically all I know. What I want to know more about is whether or not this will go away? I'm just so scared all the time. It's hurting my relationships with the people I love.

July, 28 2017 at 5:30 am
Hello V,
You nailed it. This is anxiety, and it inserts itself into lives just as you described. The short answer to your question is yes, it will go away. The rest of the answer is this: it's a process. You've already begun the process: you have great insight into your anxiety, and you are seeking information and help. Working with a therapist can be incredibly helpful, especially for people who need and like to talk things through. If it's not an option right now (if you're in school and your school has counselors, that can be a good starting point that doesn't always require parental permission -- depending on age), there are apps that are designed to help people with anxiety as well as self-help books. Your library might even have some. Understanding your anxiety, knowing what you do want your life to be like (focusing on what you don't want, on the anxiety, keeps you stuck in it), and finding assistance in the form of counseling, apps, or books, is an effective plan for getting rid of anxiety and taking back your life.
R
July, 26 2017 at 11:18 pm
Hiya, I'm really confused about whether I have anxiety or not. Like, I have those symptoms (apart from panic attacks) but whenever I think I have anxiety I just put myself down to being petty and dramatic. I think I have a really bad and annoying/obnoxious personality and have a burning desire to be "normal" and to fit in to society. Am I being dramatic and am I just weird and bad with people? Or could it be anxiety? I pick at my fingers and bite them and I pick my scalp as well and it is really hard for me to speak up to talk even to friends let alone the "cool kids". When I fail to make conversation or make someone laugh I feel worthless and rubbish and like I will never get anywhere in life compared to my friends who are just SO DARN GOOD at talking to people and making friends and fitting in. In fact they're so good at that I end up being horribly jealous and bitter and start to push them away and think really badly of them and as a result I hate myself and my brain tells me I'm a rubbish friend and "no wonder people prefer anyone else to you". Is this anxiety??? These are questions I am dying to have answered because it eats me up a lot :( I hope you can help thankyou

July, 27 2017 at 10:09 am
Hi R,
You are using some harsh words to describe yourself. How we think about ourselves plays a big part in our wellbeing. Anxiety and low self-concept can contribute to each other. I have an assignment for you if you're willing. Start catching yourself being harsh. Deliberately stop yourself then change the direction of your thoughts to something realistically positive. Think you're being "bad" with people? List real examples of times you're "good."

It's not possible to tell if anyone has anxiety in this setting. That's done with a doctor or mental health care professional. You can keep doing what you're doing -- gathering information -- and if you're still concerned, take that information with you when you see a doctor/counselor. Here are links to a few articles that you might find useful:
Am I Just Worried, or Do I Have an Anxiety Disorder? https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/anxiety-schmanxiety/2013/10/am-i-just-worried-or-do-i-have-an-anxiety-disorder/
Social Anxiety, Social Phobia Test https://www.healthyplace.com/psychological-tests/social-anxiety-social-phobia-test/
What is Skin Picking, Excoriation Disorder? https://www.healthyplace.com/ocd-related-disorders/excoriation-skin-picking-disorder/what-is-skin-picking-excoriation-disorder/
Maddie
July, 22 2017 at 4:01 pm
Hello! My name's Maddie and I'm nineteen years old (If that helps?)

I know that this is more for anxiety causing overthinking however I am wondering if you could give me advice on something similar.
Recently this year I have been experiencing terrible panic attacks due to overthinking things. I have OCD which causes me to obsessively overthink things which are inevitable and I will have to eventually go through it. And it's frustrating because although I don't have full-blown panic episodes (those are more once in a while) I do have terrible anxiety about them which can cause the panic outbreaks afterwards.
It's also annoying since every little thing would trigger it. Things that don't even have to do with the actual problem and somehow, subconsciously it ends up causing me more anxiety. I can't even enjoy a day out or do the things I love due to it.
I've tried going on walks, taking my mind off things and even humming to a tune but nothing seems to be working. I even tried meditating, drinking decaffeinated teas and every possible thing I could think of yet nothing works because sight, smell and even hearing certain words just drives me off the edge. I feel like I'm trapped and I sometimes just burst into tears due to all the anxiety and panic attacks.
I've been waiting for a psychiatrist because even though I am against the whole psychotropic medication thing however I haven't got a word back from them (Which I suppose is due to the long waiting list).

I am not sure what to do since overthinking is what's causing the whole panic/anxiety issue.

I don't even know what to do anymore since I've tried almost everything...and it's harder since every single thing triggers it. It doesn't even have to relate to the thought I'm worrying about.

I'm hoping you have any advice or suggestions?
Thanks!

July, 24 2017 at 9:34 am
Hi Maddie,
Wow -- you have been doing a lot to deal with your overthinking. Not only that, you've been doing very good things, things that are part of treatment approaches for anxiety disorders. That's a good thing. Don't give up because they don't seem to be working. These are still activities that will boost your mental health and wellbeing as you find other ways to deal with panic and OCD. What you have described fits what's called panic disorder as well as OCD. Often with these, medication is needed, especially when they don't respond to other treatments. Taking psychotropic medication is a big decision, one to be made with a doctor, and it seems like you are considering it carefully. There are certain things that do get better with medication and can worsen without it. Given that you're 19, your brain isn't quite done developing. A psychiatrist might decide that the right medication will help. It's frustrating when the wait time is so long. That seems to be a problem everywhere. Are there other psychiatrists in your area that you could contact that might be more responsive?

Here are a couple of links to information about Panic Disorder and OCD, including treatment and resources. I hope they help! https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/panic-disorder-when-fear-overwhelms/index.shtml https://www.helpguide.org/articles/anxiety/obssessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd.htm
Soudabeh maleki
July, 18 2017 at 7:02 am
Hello, I have depression and anxiety, I started to see mental health professional, he gave me medicine and when I took them all thoughts in my head went away, I felt powerful and I had self confidence, I started reaching my goals by trying without fear. It was awesome, then with some bad events "like my classmate made fun of me" happened and suddenly I was same as before. My Dr. increased the dosage and then I started to loose my memory and my hand were shaking like an old man, I still have problem remembering casual words, I saw another Dr and she reduced dosage of my medicine. Now I don't have shaking hands and I'm not nervous, but I lost my power, I still repeat conversations in my mind and its killing me. I loved the time I had free mind, I could reach my plans. I want to know whether these medicine made me addicted or not? because I feel I need them so much to be normal.
Sorry for wrong typing, I'm not english :)

July, 19 2017 at 5:54 am
Hi Soudabeh,
You communicate very well. It's the meaning that counts. :) I'm not in a position to be able to evaluate medication -- it could be harmful to you if I tried to do so. I can say, though, that the general role of medication is to help the brain itself (the physiology, neurochemistry, etc.) so that we are better able to address things like overthinking, worrying, etc. When you first began taking the medication and felt powerful, what else was different? What were your thoughts about yourself and others, and how did your actions change? If you can uncover what positive things you were thinking and doing, you can start to do more of that to take your power back from anxiety. You and the medication can work as a team. The medication can help your brain, and you can help your "self" -- who you are and who you want to become.
Kitty Kaler
July, 20 2017 at 6:05 pm
Such a beautiful response, Tanya. Thank you.
Nowshin Naz
July, 13 2017 at 11:30 am
Hi.i almost past 5 years for BS.c degree in pharmacy but it incomplete .yet.now i have 58 credit more.my main problem is i can't memorize n always forget.my anxiety is i don't want to continue ,i am afraid and lost.i can't talk to my parents.i always think about my graduation.i can or can not plz advise me.p

July, 16 2017 at 8:16 am
Hi Nowshin,
There is a high rate of anxiety among university students, so know that you aren't alone. For that reason, most (if not all) schools have counseling centers, which are typically free of charge for students. The counselors there know the unique situation of university students and are equipped to help you figure out specific elements of your anxiety, examine your goals, figure out ways to talk to parents if you want to do that, and more. Sometimes counseling centers are housed in the same building as testing centers, so that might be a good place to start (of course, the website should have the location, too). Also, there are often many types of support groups within universities, including anxiety-based groups. People meet to discuss what's causing anxiety and share ways they handle it. Meetup.com or an app specific to your university might have information. Don't give up. It is very possible to get past this anxiety.
Madeline
July, 13 2017 at 3:21 am
Hi Tanya so I just started doing research on anxiety and overthinking because I knew something wasn't right. I smoke weed on a daily basis and was wondering if there is such a thing like weed induced anxiety? Lately I've been notincing how I overthink everything and assume everyone is out to get me or hurt me which isn't true but my thoughts are what kill me. I don't know what to do or if I'm the only person like this. because of some stuff that happened in the past I feel like every negative thing that someone says is about me which it might be or might not be but I don't know and my thoughts won't let it go. So I shutdown and become anti social.

July, 13 2017 at 6:31 am
Hi Madeline,
The findings about marijuana use and anxiety are still mixed. Some reports state that marijuana can reduce anxiety while others state that it can cause or increase anxiety. Marijuana does affect each person differently, so it is indeed possible that it is contributing to your overthinking and thoughts that people are out to get you. Marijuana has been known to cause psychotic breaks, which involve a separation from reality or a confusion between thoughts and reality, such as thoughts that people are going to hurt you even thought you know it isn't true. You might consider consulting with a doctor or naturopath, whichever you prefer, to discuss your symptoms. He/she can help you determine what's going on and where you want to go from here. It seems like you have good insight into yourself and changes you're experiencing, and that's excellent. You are in a good healing position.

July, 13 2017 at 7:44 am
I forgot to give you this link! You might find some useful info in this article: https://www.healthyplace.com/addictions/marijuana-addiction/marijuana-and-anxiety-a-cause-or-treatment-of-anxiety-panic-attacks/
Rob
July, 12 2017 at 4:22 pm
Anything available for a spouse of an over thinker? How to help the over thinker? How to live with an over thinker on a daily basis? How to help a relationship with an over thinker work? Anything along those lines that could potentially save a marriage to an over thinker? Feeling lost and help/hopeless

July, 13 2017 at 5:18 am
Hi Rob,
You are not alone. Being in a relationship with someone struggling with mental health challenges can be very difficult. It's because you care that it is so difficult and leads to that lost and hopeless feeling. There needs to be more resources available for people in your situation. One resources is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) - NAMI.org. If there's one in your community, they might have information and resources for you. Also, there is a book called Loving Someone with Anxiety: Understanding and Helping Your Partner by Kate N. Thieda that you might find helpful. It is broader than overthinking, but because overthinking is part of anxiety you might find it useful.
Perhaps other readers will chime in and share their experiences!
Keybert
July, 1 2017 at 10:39 pm
This video May be so helpful to me because I also suffer from anxiety . I think a lot, I have fear of the unknown. Sometimes I feel like I'm losing my mind, I fear being alone and just have weird thoughts.

July, 2 2017 at 9:14 pm
Hi Keybert,
Everything you describe is a legitimate part of anxiety. I'm glad you found something that might help. Keep doing what you're doing -- seeking information about anxiety and trying things you find useful. Anxiety can sometimes make us feel helpless, but that's one of anxiety's tricks. You can overcome anxiety.
Gunik
June, 30 2017 at 3:00 am
Hye mam or sir I might suffering from over thinking
Robin
June, 25 2017 at 6:45 am
Hi Tanya Peterson! Thank you for this video. I have ALWAYS had overthinking problems and never knew why I'm like this. I recently learned about the 7 types of ADD and was researching how to fix my problem and came across your video. Recently my mother passed away suddenly and unexpectedly, AND also a thing that happened to me that could've turned out bad, but turned out good has caused me to have obsessive thoughts that the good news is not true. I obsess a lot to the point where I cry and tell myself that the good news is not true. It is making me a mess and say I don't want to live. I also obsess over how am I going to die. I didn't know how to deal with this. Living life like this is awful. But I thank God I saw your video because I am going to try this technique. I think this will work! I will write again when I have good news to report to you. Thank You!

June, 25 2017 at 5:05 pm
Hello Robin,
I'm so happy that you'd like to give this a try. I know you'll have good news to report, and I'm looking forward to reading about it! Be patient with yourself, as our thoughts can take root deeply. It's possible to stop overthinking. If I can do it, anyone can. :)
Jerry Pandian
June, 23 2017 at 11:58 am
hi my name is Jerry.I think too much but I don't know why...I m scared that something gonna happen to me to my family. wen I watch something videos or pictures of accident, suicides, killing of people which is graphically not suitable for anyone . I always think it's somedays gonna happen to me or to my family..im also going through depression. before leaving the country I went to the doctor for my checkup..doctor told me that im going through depression he explained me the reason and given me medicines prescriptions. one week I took the tablets.. doc told me to visit after one week.. but I was going to join for work in Qatar.I took more tablets and went their..it felt me better for a month... but again it has started ...now it's been 5 months I'm going again through this.. please can you help me out.

June, 23 2017 at 12:51 pm
Hi Jerry,
Depression and anxiety can be stubborn. Medication takes time to work, and often it falls short by itself. Do you have access to mental health professionals? If not in person, you might consider looking for online therapy services. A professional can help you deal with fear, anxiety, depression, and overthinking. Something you can start on right away is taking time every day to take several slow, deep breaths. This actually creates positive changes in the brain. While doing this, you can visualize something that makes you calm and happy. You can also practice mindfulness. When you find yourself overthinking, use all of your senses to pay attention to the present moment. What is really happening around you? What good is within you and around you, etc. Doing these things can start to provide immediate relief in moments while you work with someone to create more strategies.
Anonymous
June, 23 2017 at 10:58 am
Hi I'm 17 and recently I've been suffering from some severe panic attack cause by overthinking. I have a boyfriend whom I've been dating for a little over a year now and I love him so much. But every time I say that to him my anxiety and the little voice in my head will tell me "well maybe you don't" and "maybe you like other people" things to that extent. When I have these thoughts I'll have a complete mental breakdown and anxiety/panic attack because I know these things aren't true but I can't stop thinking them. It's get to the point where I tell myself I don't even have anxiety and I'm just a bad person which will also trigger panic attacks. This does not happen very often it happened about eight months ago and again recently he makes me so happy and I just want to know how to stop these thoughts so I can just enjoy my relationship.

June, 23 2017 at 12:34 pm
You're most definitely not a bad person (one indication is that just the thought of being a bad person can trigger panic attacks). Also, you're not bad in questioning your thoughts about your boyfriend/being with your boyfriend. Relationships are huge, and they can be strange for adults who have been trying to navigate relationships for decades. Part of what you're doing at 17 is thinking about your life ahead of you. What do you want? What don't you want? It's natural to think of your relationship with your boyfriend, too. That doesn't mean you don't love him. The anxiety this causes is very real and understandable. Finding someone to talk to about this, a trusted adult or friend, could be very helpful.
Ana
June, 22 2017 at 11:10 pm
I feel so overwhelmed all the time one minute I'm fine the next I'm worried about the kids the bills what to make for dinner I can't talk to my husband about how I feel and it sucks I have been dealing with anxiety for a long time but at this moment I'm not in control anymore I can't sleep anymore I eat every once and a while. Plus I hate going to work I hate being around people I just can't deal with alot of things right now I just want a break from everything I love my kids so much but sometimes I feel like I'm not the right mother for them and I don't want them to be like me sad and lonely... even when the room is full!!!

June, 23 2017 at 12:25 pm
Hi Ana,
That is a lot to deal with, and it would increase anyone's anxiety (and probably create new anxiety if none existed). I think that perhaps without realizing it you might have hit on a starting point. You referred to wanting a break. That is completely normal and okay and doesn't make you a bad mother. We all need breaks. They're a vital part of our wellbeing, including anxiety management. You might try working even short breaks (5 minutes) throughout the day. Go to a place where you are alone and have some quiet. I don't know if you've heard of the humorist and life columnist Erma Bombeck. She used to say that she'd hide on the floor of the backseat of her car just to have a break from her kids, who she loved dearly. Try taking several small breaks each day and breath deeply, read a few pages of a book, breathe in scented oils, or anything healthy that you find pleasurable and relaxing. This won't solve all of your struggles in an instant, but it's a good start to taking control of your world. Also, visiting in person with a therapist can be incredibly helpful in sorting things out and making plans. By working at this in pieces, maybe starting with breaks, you can overcome it.
Charlotte
June, 21 2017 at 3:55 am
Social media is a big problem for me. Everytime my boyfriend likes a photo of a female I am scared he will leave and no matter how much he tells me it's just a like I still think the worse and I have horrendous panic attacks. I just want it to stop.
Alex Hill
June, 21 2017 at 12:32 am
To be perfectly blunt, I'm not sure the article really helped me. It's not that the advice isn't good, because it is. See, I also struggle with depression along with anxiety. With overthinking I try to distract myself, but my depression steals all of my motivation and energy, so I laze about all day, overthinking. My anxiety seems to be social anxiety, as I have trouble accepting or even fathoming that my friends really like me and like having me around. What would you reccomend to someome like myself?

June, 22 2017 at 12:03 am
Hi Alex,
You're not alone. Anxiety and depression commonly occur together. This link will take you to a couple of articles that discuss dealing with depression and anxiety: https://www.healthyplace.com/depression/anxiety-and-depression/anxiety-and-depression-articles/
Tori Melbrook
June, 20 2017 at 10:05 am
Hi, my name is Tori, I recently was on birth control for 5months. I stopped taking my birth control 2 and 1/2 weeks ago. I had had some mood swings while on it but when I started my 5th pack I started developing severe anxiety and intrusive thoughts along with some depression. The day the anxiety hit was the day I started my period on the pill. This period came 2weeks early and lasted 10days. My face also started to break out while on the pill. I have had issues with anxiety in the past but learned how to cope with it and hadn't had any problems with it in over 4years. I was wondering if you know anything about the link between birth control and anxiety. I will say that everyday seems a little bit better. I am taking supplements to help my hormones rebalance. I have also started practicing CBT and exposure therapy along with mindfulness. If you have any knowledge regarding this issue please let me know. I do not want to go on any anxiety medication because I feel like my brain can learn how to reprogram itself. Thank you so much !

June, 21 2017 at 11:54 pm
Hi Tori,
A pharmacist or medical doctor should have great information about the correlation between anxiety and birth control. I've seen mixed reports on how much hormonal birth control causes/contributes to anxiety. It does seem that there is a relationship, which makes sense given the fact that hormones in birth control seem to affect neurotransmitters like serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine. You're wise in listening to your body and mind. Everyone is unique and has different responses to birth control and other medications. And speaking of medication, anxiety medication can be helpful for some but it's not for everyone. It is definitely possible to reduce and manage anxiety without it.
Edgar Williams
June, 14 2017 at 1:04 pm
I always build up the worst thing that could happen at anytime with a client in my business and it never turns out to be even close to what I have worried myself about for days on end before the appointment! Even on weekends my anxiety and thoughts just plague me! I have to learn how to get away from this thinking pattern somehow! Loved your article!

June, 14 2017 at 2:36 pm
Hi Edgar,
I think many, many people will relate to your comment -- myself included! It is absolutely a thinking pattern, and awareness of it is the first step in breaking away from it. Once you're aware (which you seem to be), you can start to intentionally turn your thoughts to positive, realistic things. It's a process -- and one that works! Thank you for your comment.
Mariah
June, 9 2017 at 10:06 pm
Thank you so much! I recently got out of an argument with my boyfriend, and it was pretty bad, he concluded everything was fine now today but now my anxiety is always giving me the worst case senreos, such as what if he doesn't love me? What if he's faking? What if he actually wants to leave?" those thoughts make me cry as well as go about stir crazy, just wish me luck on getting over this, it's such a mental battle, and no matter how much reassurance and effection he gives me, it always seems to not helo after he leaves for the day, it's stressful needless to say. ?

June, 11 2017 at 4:27 pm
Hi Mariah,
Anxiety and overthinking, creating worse-case scenarios, etc. is definitely stressful. Sometimes it can be a helpful start to remind yourself (every time!) that just because anxiety puts a thought in your head doesn't mean it's accurate. Turn your attention to the evidence on the outside. It's a process, but it's a do-able process!