Living with Depression Homepage
Welcome to my Website. I am one of millions of Americans who suffer from clinical depression. I am not a mental health professional; my comments are no substitute for consulting with a trained professional. If anything, the point of this site is to encourage those who need it, to get professional help.
Clinical depression is one of the most common illnesses. It afflicts millions of Americans each year. It is a much more serious problem than most people realize. Also, it can be a terminal illness--untreated depression is far and away the most common cause of suicide. Suicide is the nation's 7th largest killer, overall, and claims the lives of more teens and young adults than anything else.
Remember that clinical depression is not the same as sadness that everyone feels from time-to-time, nor is it the normal period of mourning or bereavement after, say, the death of a loved one, a divorce, or anything like that. Clinical depression is much more severe and lasts far longer than normal.
Depression is not a moral failing, a character flaw or weakness, or any other such thing. It is an illness. And like any other illness, it can take its toll.
Table of contents
- Living with Depression Homepage
- My Experience With Depression: How I Became Depressed
- My Experience With Therapy
- My Time in the Psychiatric Hospital
- Types of Depression
- What Causes Clinical Depression?
- What To Do If You Are Depressed
- What To Do If You Are Suicidal
- How To Recognize Depression Symptoms
- Depression And Other Mental Disorders
- Depression And Physical Ailments
- Effects Of Depression On Family and Friends
- Getting Help For Depression or Helping Someone With Depression
- Getting Therapy For Depression
- If You Know Someone Who's Depressed
- Medications And Depression
- Prognosis For Depression
- Taking Antidepressants
- A Bit about Me
Staff, H. (2008, December 15). Living with Depression Homepage, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2023, September 24 from https://www.healthyplace.com/depression/articles/living-with-depression-homepage