Depression Test for Teenagers
Teenage depression increases the risk of suicide so it's important to catch depression early and this depression test for teenagers can help.1Depression in teenagers can be just as serious as depression in adults, with 11% of adolescents having a depressive disorder by the age of 18.
This teenage depression test is designed to indicate whether depression is likely, but no online depression test can replace a formal evaluation by a healthcare professional.
Note: If you feel you may harm yourself or others, do not wait, get help now.
Instructions for the Depression Test for Teenagers
Considering the last two weeks, note whether you would agree or disagree with the following teenage depression test statements:
- I am sad, depressed or feel like sulking almost every day.
- I have been in trouble at school.
- I find schoolwork more difficult than usual.
- Everything is bad; I see everything in a negative light.
- Everyone is getting on my nerves; I feel grouchy.
- I feel like no one likes or understands me.
- I feel unimportant, worthless.
- Other members of my family have been diagnosed with depression.
- I don't find pleasure in anything I used to enjoy.
- My weight has changed or I'm eating more/less than usual.
- I can't get to sleep or I feel like sleeping all the time.
- I feel restless.
- My whole body feels slow.
- I have no energy.
- I constantly think of death or suicide.
Scoring the Depression Test for Teenagers
If you agreed to seven or more of the above teen depression test statements, and these feelings impact everyday life, you may have a depressive disorder. Note this depression test for teens is not designed to indicate other disorders like eating disorders or substance use disorders.
If you suspect you may be depressed or have another mental illness, you should seek the help of a trained health or mental health professional who can medically screen for teenage depression.
- Depression in Children: Overview of Child Depression
- Recognizing Symptoms of Depression in Teens and Children
- Teenage Depression-Signs, Symptoms, Antidepressants
- Antidepressants for Children: Important Information for Parents
- Depression Treatment Options
- Suicide, Suicide Thoughts, Suicide Attempts
Tracy, N. (2021, December 30). Depression Test for Teenagers, HealthyPlace. Retrieved on 2022, December 4 from https://www.healthyplace.com/depression/depression-information/depression-test-for-teenagers